Galvanized steel is commonly used to create metal deck for commercial construction projects. In most cases, the deck is used as a part of roof or flooring systems, and is enclosed within other parts of the system so that it is not left visible when the project is finished. However, there are some cases where part of the deck is visible once the project is completed, and it needs a more finished look. This often leads to the question: can you paint galvanized metal deck?
In this article, we will discuss what galvanized deck is, and the process of painting galvanized metal deck.
What Is Galvanized Deck?
Galvanized steel is made by placing a sheet of steel in an acid bath to remove steel scale, which is a kind of iron oxide that creates a flaky texture on the steel. Once the scale is removed, the steel is placed in a bath of molten zinc. The zinc bonds to the steel, creating a protective coating that protects it from natural elements like rust.
How to Paint Galvanized Metal Deck
While the protective coating of galvanized metal deck creates a long lasting product for construction projects, it also makes it much more difficult to paint.
To paint galvanized metal deck, you must follow these steps:
- Clean the galvanized steel with a chemical degreaser to remove the protective coating.
- Rinse the steel with water, and allow it to dry for several hours.
- Prepare the steel either by sandblasting it, or scouring it lightly with sandpaper.
- Dampen a cloth with white vinegar, wipe down the surface of the steel with the cloth, and let it sit for 1-2 hours.
- Purchase a latex primer that is made specifically for galvanized deck. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer to apply a primer coat to the steel.
- Purchase a paint that is the same brand as the primer that you used. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer, but first apply a small amount of paint to test the steel and ensure that it will not peel off the deck.
Each of these steps can take a lot of time to complete, especially if you are not an expert in metal deck and deck finishes. If you do not perform a step correctly, the paint will likely begin to peel off of the steel, and you may have to repeat the process again from the beginning.
To save yourself time, money, and frustration, we highly recommend purchasing pre-primed or pre-painted galvanized deck from a knowledgeable manufacturer.
Galvanized Deck from CSM
At CSM, we produce metal roof and floor deck in a variety of widths, depths, and gauges, using G60 and G90 galvanized steel. We can also provide you with pre-primed or pre-painted galvanized deck in white or gray finishes.
Contact us today to get started on your order of painted galvanized deck. Once we receive your initial request, our estimators will provide you with options to ensure that you receive the best price possible.